Friday 28 September 2012

MUSKIE!!!!

On our second day out with Brad, we went for Muskies.  He warned us they were super hard to catch, if we landed one fish it would be a good day.
Coolest fly box ever, we tossed huge 8-12 inch flies on 9 wt. rods.  Casting the flies on sink-tip lines was some of the hardest but funnest casting I've ever done on a fly rod.
I ended up hooking the first muskie within a few casts from the boat launch.  I was just getting the hang of casting the parrot-sized fly when a huge mouth came out of nowhere and inhaled the fly.  He came off before I knew it and thought had blown my only chance for the day.
Finally hooked and landed this beast after what felt like a thousand casts.  Not big by Muskie standards, only 30 inches and about 12 pounds, but my best fish on a fly to date. Definately didn't fight like a trout, more like tug of war with a bulldog.


The fly and the damage done, I'd worn a hole in my finger from all of the casting, stripping and fighting.  All worth it for one of the best days I've had on a fly rod.





No comments:

Post a Comment